Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Moving TEMP tablespace
Moving TEMP tablespace [message #59234] Wed, 05 November 2003 13:09 Go to next message
Mark K
How do I move a temporary tablespace?

I thought I could use

ALTER TABLESPACE... RENAME DATAFILE... TO...

but when I look for the existing datafile info in DBA_DATA_FILES, the TEMP tablespace does not show at all.

I'm missing something. Can someone clarify?

Thanks.

-- Mark K.
Re: Moving TEMP tablespace [message #59235 is a reply to message #59234] Wed, 05 November 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark K
ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION! (I think -- please validate my thinking)

I have to look at a DIFFERENT view for TEMP: DBA_TEMP_FILES instead of DBA_DATA_FILES.

I think that's all.

Thanks for your time.

-- Mark K.
STILL A PROBLEM [message #59237 is a reply to message #59234] Wed, 05 November 2003 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark K
Well, I found the file, fine, but I cannot take a TEMPORARY tablespace OFFLINE... in order to RENAME DATAFILE... TO.

And if I shutdown the instance, move the file, what happens when the instance comes back up?

I guess forget all these sub-questions; my question remains: How does one move a TEMPORARY tablespace?

Thanks.

-- Mark K.
Re: STILL A PROBLEM [message #59238 is a reply to message #59237] Wed, 05 November 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Take the tempfile offline (alter database tempfile 'name' offline;),
move/copy the file at the OS level,
rename the tempfile(alter database rename 'old file' to 'new file') ,
bring it online ( alter database tempfile 'name' online;)
OFFLINE doesn't work for TEMP [message #59239 is a reply to message #59238] Wed, 05 November 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exadata
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem I'm facing -- I'm moving all my other tablespaces in the manner you describe, but when I got to TEMP, the alter command give error that option not valid for temporary tablespaces.

I'm thinking maybe I have to simply create a new TEMP01 tablespace, alter database to make it default TEMP, drop old TEMP.

Thoughts?

-- Mark K.
Re: OFFLINE doesn't work for TEMP [message #59240 is a reply to message #59239] Wed, 05 November 2003 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
that is it. you cant take the temp tablespace offline because everyone is allowed to sort and needs a place to sort. so make a new one it the location you wanted to relocate the old one. and then drop the old one.
Re: OFFLINE doesn't work for TEMP [message #59241 is a reply to message #59239] Wed, 05 November 2003 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
I must be thinking something else.. Right, you cannot rename tempfiles of a Locally MAnaged temporary tablespace in that fashion,although you can take the tempfile offline. As you mentioned, you can create a new one and drop the old one easily.
Re: STILL A PROBLEM [message #59242 is a reply to message #59237] Wed, 05 November 2003 21:16 Go to previous message
sachin kumar gupta
A temporary tablespace can never be taken offline!!
This is applicable for system & all tablespaces containing undo active segments also.

Regards,
Sachin
Previous Topic: move tables out of system
Next Topic: Oracle 8i Remanagement (URGENT)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:18:28 CDT 2024