Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i
How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i [message #58857] Mon, 06 October 2003 15:12 Go to next message
Mo Sufi
Hi,

I am tying to Connect Oracle9i client to Oracle9i server,
I installed the server successfully, chose general purpose DB, and I installed the client successfully as well. my two machine as communicating fine with TCP/IP, I accessed the Net manager on the client machine, & I did the following:

1) went to the service naming
2) created a new service name called tosh
3) chose TCP connectivity
4) put the correct host name (my server name which is EIZO) with port 1521
5) put the service name as my server name as well
6) tested the connection and it said successful

after that, I loaded the sql+, typed in the following;
username: system
password: ********
string: tosh (also tried typing eizo)

in both cases it gives me the following error;
ora-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

Your help is much appreciated.

thnx
Mo
Re: How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i [message #58858 is a reply to message #58857] Mon, 06 October 2003 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
post your listner.ora and tnsnames.ora
Re: How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i [message #58861 is a reply to message #58857] Tue, 07 October 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dillonais
Try these commands :
- lsnrctl services
Can you see your Database ?
- Tnsping database_name
Is it Ok, or not
- In case of No, for both questions:
> Stop listener
> Restart DB
> Start listener
And give me the result.

Dillonais
Re: How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i [message #58882 is a reply to message #58858] Wed, 08 October 2003 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mo Sufi
hi

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the connectivity worked between my client and server (both oracle 9i), so far, this is happening in a local LAN, however, I have one more question, regarding this matter, I want to access my server remotly, via the net, my server is online 24/7, I tried to connect to it using the IP address of the server, so i typed the username and password, and typed the global IP address of my server in the String Box, tried to connect, but it failed and gave the following error;

ora-12514: TNS:listner could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

to verify its not an internet problem, i tried accessing the server locally using the local IP address of the server i.e 192.168.0.2, yet it gives the same error !!

any solution to this ??

thnx
su
Re: How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i [message #58887 is a reply to message #58882] Thu, 09 October 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
try to ping those ip's ( both of them) from your remote client or machine.
if you are good, then 
   chec the listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora file.
elsif there is a firewall involved then
   that is a different case
else 
    there are issues with your ip.

It is  stongly recomend not to use sqlnet connectivity to any reall database production server, from outside world.
use ssh tools like putty to connect to the remote server and do ur business.

Re: How to Connect client oracle 9i to server 9i [message #58894 is a reply to message #58887] Fri, 10 October 2003 11:06 Go to previous message
Mo Sufi
Basically, my oracle 9i server is held in a computer which is online 24/7 with a fixed ip address, therefore, I would like to access that database remotely with oracle 9i client, i tried to put the ip address as the string in the login screen, but it gave me;

ora-12514: TNS:listner could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

after that, on the client machine, i tried to change the host details in the tnsnames.ora, so i put the IP address of where the server is held, yet it didnt resolve.
there is no firewall or any security restriction running on my server, ping is ok, both machine can talk.

by rephrase my question, it will simply be,
how can i access an oracle database remotely via the net ??

thnx
Mo
Previous Topic: What is the diff b/w 3 stmts
Next Topic: Heterogeneous Services configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 13:50:05 CDT 2024