Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Ping a table in the keep buffer pool
Ping a table in the keep buffer pool [message #58200] Wed, 06 August 2003 12:24 Go to next message
Guanqing
Does anybody know that is there any relationship between the disk space and memory space in the keep buffer pool for the same object if the object is kept in the keep buffer pool by the command "alter table table_name storage(buffer_pool keep)? For instance, one table segment takes 10 MB, how much memory it takes in the keep buffer pool when I launched the command "alter table table_name storage(buffer_pool keep)? Is it equal to, less than or more than 10 MB?
Re: Ping a table in the keep buffer pool [message #58205 is a reply to message #58200] Wed, 06 August 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraboy
With my understanding.., there cant be any relation between disk space and cache management.
Becoz storage parameters are what is taken in account while creating the object and cache management is entirely applicable to SGA area.

Let me know if I am missing your point anywhere.

Oraboy
Re: Ping a table in the keep buffer pool [message #58206 is a reply to message #58200] Wed, 06 August 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraboy
well..disk usage might come into picture if SGA is too large and OS needs swapping of SGA granules for other processes..(but again nothing to do with object disk space)

Just another thought!

Oraboy
Re: Ping a table in the keep buffer pool [message #58222 is a reply to message #58205] Thu, 07 August 2003 13:05 Go to previous message
Guanqing
As you know, in SGA, there are several buffer pools: (1) Default; (2)Keep; (3)Recycle. I want to ping 34 tables in the Keep buffer pool to allevaite CPU workload and to get some performance gain. Of course, I know the data volume on disk space for these tables by query their segments. I want to know if somebody knows that is there any relationship between the data volume on disk and the data volume in the keep buffer pool. This kind of information is quite useful for me to resize the buffer pools.
I imagine that it should be 1 to 1 or less (because of empty blocks in the segments). Oracle doesn't offer us a way (v$ views) to measure the data volume of a table on memory ( e.g. Keep buffer pool).
I created a TAR in Oracle metalink two day ago. However, my TAR is still in the status "WORK IN PROGRESS".
Previous Topic: Common Oracle install folder
Next Topic: Know Transaction tables in ORACLE FORMS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:27:37 CDT 2024