Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » LRM error - unable to open the parameter file
LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58137] Mon, 04 August 2003 09:55 Go to next message
Deepak
Hi,

I installed the oracle 9i database in windows XP standard edition with software only. Following is the sequence I followed before I encountered the LRM error:

1. In command prompt, I used oradim to create my test instance
2. Set the oracle sid to "test", my test database.
3. logged in as "/ as sysdba" into sql*plus.
4. Issued the command startup nomount, I get the error "LRM-???? unable to open the parameter file d:oracleora92databaseinittest.ora".

I installed the oracle database in d: drive. Could anyone help me resolve this error. Thanks in advance.

Deepak
Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58138 is a reply to message #58137] Mon, 04 August 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
first make sure u have the inittest.ora in the directory.
then check the parameters in inittest.ora
all the parameters should that are quoted should be properly closed and the use windows notations for slashes.

Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58141 is a reply to message #58138] Mon, 04 August 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak
I made sure that inittest.ora is in the folder d:oracleora92database. The following are the contents in the inittest.ora file

DB_NAME=test
DB_BLOCK_SIZE=4096
DB_CACHE_SIZE=100M
LOG_BUFFER=100000
control_files=d:oracleoradatatestcontrol01.ora
user_dump_dest=d:oracleoradatatestudump

I still get the same error. The errors when I issue the startup nomount command are as below:

ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
LRM-00109: could not open parameter file 'D:ORACLEORA92DATABASEINITTEST.ORA'

Thanks
Deepak
Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58144 is a reply to message #58141] Mon, 04 August 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
usually there should be more parameters in the inittest.ora
and atleast 3 control files by default.

so, did u create the database?
or just installed the software?

if you have created the database, there should be more entries in inittest.ora

any how,
login as sys
and try to start database by giving complete path of pfile.

startup nomount pfile=' complete_pathinittest.ora';

Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58146 is a reply to message #58144] Mon, 04 August 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak
I gave the full path of the parameter file. I still get the same error unfortunately. I installed just the software and haven't yet created the database. I wanted to startup nomount the instance and then run the create database script to create the database. But this is where I am having problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

Deepak
Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58151 is a reply to message #58146] Tue, 05 August 2003 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
your inittest.ora is NOT containing the basic entries.
create a pfile with complete entries and try again.
Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58208 is a reply to message #58151] Wed, 06 August 2003 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak
Mahesh,

Thanks a lot for all your help. I finally figured why the inittest.ora file didn't open. It was saved as a text file inittest.ora.txt but in windows explorer since I had hidden the extensions, was not able to figure this out. It was quite silly but after changing the file name to inittest.ora, I was able to startup nomount and then create the database.

After that, I ran the catalog and catproc scripts which ran fine even though I forgot to mount or open the database. After the scripts ran, when I attempted to mount and open, I got the message that the database was already mounted and open.

Now I am trying to resolve two issues as below.

1. When logging through sql*plus, I get the TNS:protocol adapter error. In the command prompt, I could fix this error by typing "set oracle_sid=test" and starting sqlplus from there. But how to set the oracle_sid permanently so I can login through sqlplus or command prompt without having to set the oracle_sid everytime I login.

2. When I log in through enterprise manager console, it asks to add a database to the tree. after setting the sid to 'test' and host to 'test', when I attempt to connect as sysdba using sys, I get an error "connect failed because target host or object does not exist"

Any ideas how to resolve the above.

Thanks in advance

Deepak
Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58209 is a reply to message #58208] Wed, 06 August 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
right click on  my computer in windows.
goto properteries , select advanced tab.
there would be an otpion to set the environment variables.
set the ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID there.
add ORACLE_HOME  to path.
with OEM, are u using OMS or just stand alone console?
for OMS did u istall repository etc?
for standalone, first you need to a tnsstring.
add entries in tnsnames.ora to connect to the local test dataase.
use that string to connect to database.
inside OEM, ther will an option to add database to  tree.
if you select them, your tns entries appear.
always, create a dba account for general database administration use it.
preferbly dont use sys account as it is meant for more powerful options

Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58289 is a reply to message #58209] Tue, 12 August 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak
Thank you so much. I am able to now connect to sqlplus without having to set the oracle_sid everytime. This is great. However, now I am unable to startup an instance. I get the error ORA-01031 : insufficient privileges. I am not sure why this is happening now. I appreciate your response.

Also can you please recommend me some books which can take me through the process of oracle installation in windows XP. I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Deepak
Re: LRM error - unable to open the parameter file [message #58290 is a reply to message #58289] Tue, 12 August 2003 10:49 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
login as sys and start the isntance.
also login as adminstartor in OS
i am not aware of any book that deals oracle for XP.
i always recomend to read docs which are free.
Previous Topic: show sga equivalent in 9.2.0
Next Topic: Rollback segment sizing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:34:56 CDT 2024