Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » max no. of instances that can run in a single oracle database
max no. of instances that can run in a single oracle database [message #58082] Tue, 29 July 2003 23:49 Go to next message
rkumar
hi all,

i have a doubt. plz clarify.

what is the maximum number of instances that can run in a single oracle database. Plz give me the oracle versions and the Operating Systems also

Treat this as urgent
All the replies r welcome
Re: max no. of instances that can run in a single oracle database [message #58085 is a reply to message #58082] Wed, 30 July 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
From the Oracle online docs (http://tahiti.oracle.com):
Every running Oracle database is associated with an Oracle instance. 
When a database is started on a database server (regardless of the type of computer), 
Oracle allocates a memory area called the System Global Area and starts one or more Oracle processes. 
This combination of the System Global Area and Oracle processes is called an instance. 
The memory and processes of an instance manage the associated database's data efficiently and serve the users of the database.
So, the maximum number of instances per database is: 1.

There's no real limitation on the maximum number of instances on a single machine. All depends on OS memory limits, available resources on the box, the number of processes in the instances, the payload per instance and your database parameter settings... There's no telling in figures what the limits are.

MHE
Re: max no. of instances that can run in a single oracle database [message #58088 is a reply to message #58085] Wed, 30 July 2003 01:31 Go to previous message
rkumar
thanks maaher
Previous Topic: (Urgent) can anyone help me about online redo log
Next Topic: Diff. betwn. Appl. DBA & Core DBA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:25:33 CDT 2024