Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 8.1.6 Database Configuration Assistant fails
Oracle 8.1.6 Database Configuration Assistant fails [message #55241] Mon, 13 January 2003 09:32 Go to next message
S Zafiroff
The environment:

S/W
Slackware 7.1, Kernel 2.2.?, glibc2.1.3, jre1.1.8v1, jdk1.1.8v1.
H/W
127 Mb RAM, 6Gigs free disk space (oracle home installed on separet disk), Intel 233 MHz.

on installing Oracle 8.1.6.1 r2, everything started and looked very promising untill it reached moment to execute the assistants: Net8 Configuration Assistant went through OK, but

Database Configuration Assistant fails - see the attached screen shot; message is: "java.lang.NumberFormatExeption:
at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Compiled Code)
at WizOSD.getAvailableMemory(Compiled Code)
and so on..."

executing 'top' (filtered for install user only) shows at least 12 'jre' instances, all not consuming CPU time, and vey little memory ; my first thought was RAM memory (128 Mb) was all consumed, in fact there was some 7 Megs still free reported on top of 'top'; then wizard hanged and I killed it by SIGNAL 15 ...

please note that in doc-s they say JRE 1.1.8 is needed - I used both JRE118v1 and JRE118v3 (from blackdown) with the same result, and they require glibc 2.1 - mine is glibc 2.1.3; the installation wizard starts OK - meaning JRE was accepted - still the error messges sugegst something is wrong with JAVA - I know Oracle works RedHat - still, it supposed to be with Slack too, right ?
Re: Oracle 8.1.6 Database Configuration Assistant fails [message #55246 is a reply to message #55241] Mon, 13 January 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
hi
dbca (database configuration assistent or dbassist) looks for /usr/bin/free in linux distributions.
But  in Slackware Linux 
it is in /bin/free. 
make a soft link - ln -s /bin/free /usr/bin/free
and try again.

Re: Oracle 8.1.6 Database Configuration Assistant fails [message #55308 is a reply to message #55241] Thu, 16 January 2003 13:01 Go to previous message
S Zafiroff
Thank you for the support !

unfortunatly, after creating the suggested soft link, I had the same result; I can provide screen shots for the last two attempts.

Thanks to anyone willing to help !
Previous Topic: Database not open message
Next Topic: using data compression on CLOBS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:58:18 CDT 2024