Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Creating seed database problem
Creating seed database problem [message #54760] Tue, 03 December 2002 16:23 Go to next message
D.Brown
I'm having a problem getting Oracle 9.2 up and running on a RH Linux 8 machine. I have installed 9.0.1 and 8.1.7 on several other machines (HP, AIX, Solaris) without a hitch, but this one isn't playing nice.

The problem is in the Configuration Assistant. It won't create the seed database and bombs out on a "unable to attach to shared memory segment" error. I believe (but may be wrong) that this is caused by the DBMS server not running- it apparantly didn't start itself during the install process but didn't let me know there was a problem.

This happened first during the initial install- the CA is invoked during install but failed (and gave no error messages in the process other than "can't attach to shared memory") and fails the same way when I try to invoke dbca manually.

I think I have a catch-22 here- I can't create a seed database unless the server is running, and I can't start the server unless the seed database (with an associated instance) is running. The only ways I know of to start the server is the dbstart command (useless without an instance) or via SQLplus, and I can't access SQLplus with the server down (ORA-27101 shared memory realm does not exist). I'm making a fairly rash assumption that the "shared memory realm" errors are caused by the fact that there are NO oracle processes running as the DBMS hasn't started.

Did I miss something? Is there a way of bringing up Oracle in some sort of administration mode to create the seed database? I'm at a loss.
Re: Creating seed database problem [message #54761 is a reply to message #54760] Tue, 03 December 2002 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
I experienced a similar problem - it was a lack of memory issue. I shut down a few things and tried again then it worked. Search through the log files created by during the attempted database creating and find the corresponding command which caused it. Try that command manually to start the instance. Of course you'd get much better advice on metalink...
Re: Creating seed database problem [message #54784 is a reply to message #54760] Wed, 04 December 2002 15:59 Go to previous message
D.Brown
Thank you. Turned out to be not enough shared memory. Curses to the Red Hat folks that still think 32MB is sufficient. I had it set at 128MB but bumped it up to 512MB. and it appears to be functioning.
Previous Topic: Re: certification guide -8/8i/9i
Next Topic: table sizes and indexes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:47:42 CDT 2024