Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » is database Recovery is possible with datafile only ?
is database Recovery is possible with datafile only ? [message #54294] Fri, 08 November 2002 20:49 Go to next message
Rao MS
Hai oracle Friends,
One bad Morning my colleauge,who is working on oracle 7.3.2. went to work place and removed all the files (init.ora,control files,log files and system files) except a datafile what we had created.
the database is running in noarchivelog mode and no backups .Can we recover the data ?
if so please explain.
Thanking You
Rao
Re: is database Recovery is possible with datafile only ? [message #54296 is a reply to message #54294] Fri, 08 November 2002 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sai sreenivas jeedigunta
I am very sorry to say that, In case of NoArchivelog mode no recovery is possible, except if u have a Cold backup..Restore all the set and then open the database.

sai
Re: is database Recovery is possible with datafile only ? [message #54298 is a reply to message #54294] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
What a smart guy !! Removed all the files, but left its own one. What you guys did to this fellas???

If you find any full database export of this database, before this bad morning, you might get some old copy running. Other than that - nothing...

Next time run in archivedlog mode, take hot backups, duplicate the tapes and keep them in separate locations. Also take full db export every night. You will know it already...

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: is database Recovery is possible with datafile only ? [message #54337 is a reply to message #54294] Tue, 12 November 2002 03:40 Go to previous message
Jay
You need a copy of all datafiles in the database before crash to recover al the data or the system files plus files of tablespaces you want to recover. The system datafile is used only to recover the data dictionary, so it needs to be after the last change of DB structure (new users/tablespaces etc). If you don't have system datafile you can not recover anything.
You can recover all the data from datafiles using Oracle utility to unload data directly from files but it will cost you a lot of money. It is an Oracle internal use only utility, and they use only in case of disaster (because Oracle it supposed to be unbreakable)
Good luck & let me know what happened.
Previous Topic: Difference between 8i and 9I
Next Topic: para for sga <
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:49:55 CDT 2024