Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle8i install
Oracle8i install [message #50884] Fri, 12 April 2002 04:04 Go to next message
Pete
Help!

I've recently installed Oracle8i personal edition on to my PC at home. I'm following the instructions in the "Wrox Press' Beginning Java Databases" book. Once it is installed, I try to configure a listener, but I keep getting the response that port 1521 is being used by another listener (even though I've not got another listener). When I then set my listener to port 1520, it appears to work.

When I then run SQLPlus I get the login dialogue box asking for my username, password and host script. I give the SYS or the SYSTEM username followed by the appropriate password and then my computer name for the host string(?is this right?) and I get the error - 'cannot resolve protocol...'.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I can't get it to work, and I can't find anything in the relevant documentation or in the book I'm working through to help.

PLEASE HELP!

Pete.
Re: Oracle8i install [message #50885 is a reply to message #50884] Fri, 12 April 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shri
hi pete,
You dont have to install oracle and unistall again and again. the mistake you are doing is you are trying to create a listener. when ever oracle is installed a default listener is created for the default port 1521.
now you have to just connected to any schema (sys or system) using sql plus. that's all. if you want to create a own listener then you have to configure in your tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and using lsnrctl.exe you will have to start and stop the listener process as you want. the compand is
c: lsnrctl
thne
start <listener_name>
for default listener dont specify the name

bye
chil
Re: Oracle8i install [message #50904 is a reply to message #50884] Fri, 12 April 2002 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wei Lang
please leave host steing blank when you log in database.

Wei
Oracle8i install [message #50923 is a reply to message #50884] Mon, 15 April 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ejup biqkaj
Hello,
I am trying to install Oracle 8i Standard edition in win2000 professional Laptop. I cannot succed. Can I have any advice what is happening? Is it a problem with platform?
I have a very powerfull laptop and I would like to install Oracle in it.
Thanks for advices,
Re: Oracle8i install [message #53623 is a reply to message #50884] Tue, 01 October 2002 17:10 Go to previous message
Ajbi
he ckmi
Previous Topic: insert substitution character '&'
Next Topic: Re: certification guide -8/8i/9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 23:27:43 CDT 2024